The International Food Wine & Travel Writers Association (IFWTWA) is a California non-profit, mutual benefit corporation with international business headquarters in Murrieta, California, USA.
The IFWTWA is open to professionals actively publishing or broadcasting in the food, wine and/or travel industries and university-level students pursuing studies in these or related fields. In addition to Regular and Student Membership, the IFWTWA also offers Associate Membership, for food, wine, and travel industry professionals, including hotels, hospitality, public relations, CVB’s, Tourist Boards, and more.
ALL applicants must agree to abide by the IFWTWA Code of Conduct. Please read and agree to complete the application.
Recognizing that many professionals in the industry work in more than one form of media, the application requirement to provide clips and/or links to the previous two-years of professional work may include a combination of examples from the following categories.
Minimum requirements for Regular and Student Membership as approved by the IFWTWA Board of Directors and the membership is shown below, by category:
For working members of the press, defined as individual journalists actively publishing or broadcasting in the food, wine and/or travel industries.
Eligibility: Regular members are writers, editors, broadcasters, bloggers or photographers who:
- are the designated editor or broadcaster for a publication, website, blog or TV/ radio station; or
- write, publish, broadcast, blog or photograph professionally in a staff or freelance capacity to an extent that satisfies the IFWTWA Board of Directors.
- Are NOT public relations professions or those who write about clients.
Regular members shall have been publicly photographing, publishing, editing, blogging for two years prior to application with a minimum of:
- one (1) year prior to membership writing in the food, wine and/or travel industries
- and (if applicable) one (1) additional year in other industries to satisfy the two (2) year professional requirement.
- All IFWTWA members must continue writing, photographing, publishing or editing a minimum of four (4) times annually to maintain active membership, and must demonstrate this by keeping their portfolio up-to-date on ifwtwa.org.
The Board of Directors reserves the right to consider special circumstances and other media when giving approval for regular membership.
Minimum requirements to be submitted at the time of application:
- four (4) links to your most recent articles – 500 word count minimum – for each of the past two years with the most recent year focused on food, wine and/or travel.
- PDFs of printed articles can be attached to the application if a digital version is unavailable.
NOTE: International applicants that do not publish in the English language: Any applicant submitting writing samples that are not written in the English language, that cannot be translated by a member or trusted peer of IFWTWA, will be asked to have one of their articles translated into English, though not through Google, for vetting purposes only.
Photographers, filmmakers and broadcasters:
- Provide four (4) links (in any combination of medium) per year for each of the past two years that verify paid work through the sale of photographs and/or staff/freelance on film and/or broadcast projects.
- The most recent year must focus on food, wine and/or travel.
- Submit title of book, link, and ISBN number
- Most recent book to be focused on food, wine and/or travel while a second book submission within two (2) years prior to application may be on other topics.
- One book submission fulfills the requirement for one year of clips as defined under “Writers/editors.”
- A blog must be a minimum two years on line with a minimum of two posts per month, 500-word count, authored by the applicant. Or,
- The blog is one year old and the applicant includes an additional 4 links to a combination of published articles (not guest blog posts), visual media, broadcasts or books provided to fulfill the basic two-year requirement for IFWTWA regular membership.
- A minimum of one posting per month per the previous 12 months should be focused on food, wine and/or travel topics.
- The blog has maintained a consistent schedule of postings authored by the applicant at least twice per month.
Eligibility: Students must be enrolled in the study of journalism, hotel and hospitality, communications, culinary sciences and/or enology, writing, or broadcast media in an institution of higher learning accredited by the country of its address.
Minimum requirements: Applicants must submit the following evidence of student status with application.
Scan or email with subject “my application” to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Copy of current student ID
- Letter or other document from the institution of higher learning certifying (1) your course of study and (2) dates of current enrollment.
For food, wine, and travel industry professionals, including hotels, hospitality, public relations, CVB’s, Tourist Boards, and more.
- The ‘Member’ is the hotel, hospitality, public relations agency, CVB, tourist board or other IFWTWA approved business within those parameters, not the individual representative.
- The contact/representative or representatives for the Member Organization will maintain the Associate Members portfolio on ifwtwa.org and have the privileges afforded Associate Membership.
New Member Dues:
- Regular and Student applicants the fee must be paid in full at the time of application, via Paypal. The IFWTWA does not accept checks for regular or student membership applications. Please follow the instructions on the application.
- Associate Member applicants may pay by check if needed – please follow the instructions on the application.
Regular Member: $170 annually + $50 first year initiation fee = $220 USD
Associate Member: $255 annually + $50 first year initiation fee =$305 USD
Student Member: $105 annually + $50 first year initiation fee = $155
You can use our online application or fill it out, print, and mail to: IFWTWA, 39252 Winchester Rd, Ste 107 #418, Murrieta, CA 92563.
Please read the Code of Conduct and agree to it before you apply.